Diff algorithm

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Tue Nov 4 11:56:29 EST 2003

Here is a script I wrote to compare 2 folders for files and folders
that were present in each and unique to each. I never bothered to make
it recursive.

Fields "three", "four", and "five" are visible and is where the output
is sent to.

on mouseUp
   prepFields -- handler in stack script to clear fields
   lock screen
   -- field "one" contains a directory listing for "Folder1" and is
invisible
   -- field "two" contains a directory listing for "Folder2" and is
invisible
   repeat for each line tLine in field "one" -- compare Folder1 against
Folder2
     find string tLine in field "two" -- for each line see if you can
find it anywhere in field "two"
     if the result is not empty then
       put the URLDecode of item one of tLine & return after field
"three" -- Unique to Folder1
     else
       put the URLDecode of item one tLine & return after field "five"
-- Common to both folders
     end if
   end repeat
   repeat for each line tLine in field "two" -- now compare Folder2
against Folder1
     find string tLine in field "one" -- for each line see if you can
find it anywhere in field "one"
     if the result is not empty then
       put the URLDecode of item one tLine & return after field "four"
-- Unique to Folder2
     end if
   end repeat
   sort field "five"
   unlock screen with dissolve fast
end mouseUp

As an interesting aside, I wrote this as an example stack just to show
someone how to do it in Rev but never thought I would actually use it.
It wasn't 3 weeks before I was transfering files from one server to
another and I got a report that some files were not able to transfer
but it didn't say which ones. This app worked perfectly to tell me
which ones didn't make it.

Bill Vlahos