Losing the amateur...

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Mon Nov 3 10:44:25 EST 2003

Allo Friends,

Perhaps are we a little mistaking us about what the computer's software
markets are and are'nt.........

1.- Some majors companies (aka Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, Sun,..) are
mainly unable to produce really innovative concepts and products,
outside of builing global marketing proposals to their customers :
"because we are the biggest, we knows what you need... Just listen to us
and you will use the most used products over the world...".

2.- Some intemediate companies (aka Apple, SGI, Sybase, Adobe...) whose
need to stay, at least, a little innovative (products and/or marketing)
if they wants get enought customers to gohead.

3.- Some small start-up's companies whose need to be intensivelly able
to stay on top of innovation with 2/3 of technical innovation and 1/3 of
marketing and communication innovation (aka Runtime Revolution,
PostgreSQL INC, MySQL AG, OpenBase,...) to get enought customers incomes
to just stay alive.

4.- Some very productive people whose are able to do, alone, the work
what could be done by a 100 enginners team in a company witch belongs to
the first and second category, i named before (aka Linus Torwalds, Bill
Atkinson, Scott Raney,...). Those people don't really need us, the
end-users customers ! They have always two or three possibles choices
they can do to gohead, in between working on exiting tasks and making
monney.

5.- Lots and lots of "intermediate speakers" who are producing nothing
and speaking about anything. Here, in France, they are mainly speaking
about Free Software (including Linux), in letting anyone think that
innovative software development can be grounded on a non-commercial
economical model...

As a "7 years old" Linux-hosted Web/Erp's solutions developper and
provider, i just want to say that, if Linux can be used as a free OS, as
is, as a toy or as a studies task object in hands of curious or
studients, the only way to have a secure internet enabled Linux server
is to pay for it : pay for a serious distro witch packs together all
what the professional need to deploy at once, pay for a real secure
firewall/DMZ in front of the server, pay for a professional grade
maintainance of a server witch will be running over the web for
years,...

As a professional, i know that in licensing my Suse, Metacard or
Revolution issues, i'm just helping others professionals to gohead in
providing me tools, i need to use to be able to gohead in my own work.

For the ones that are thinking that the real computers world can be
build on free software, just drop MacOS and Windows out of your life,
buy a 1000 US $ box, install a Debian Linux, an Emacs editor, a GCC 3.3
compiler, a Lisp or, even, a Smalltalk and gohead as this.

For all, if we want RunRev to become the strongest partnership company
we need to gohead in developing XTalk's based apps, we just need to pay
for what RunRev helps us to take fun (amateurs) and money
(professionals) in using Revolution. There are adaptive prices for each
use (and, honestly, no reasons to say that there is no a right price for
the use i expect to get from my Rev issue : from US $ 75 to about 700, i
can find what i need AND i want to pay for it to let RunRev gohead in
building the next issues of the product !

Best Regards to All,

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores at easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:   +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:   +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:   +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"