Can cards in a stack be of different sizes

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Nov 3 02:39:18 EST 2003

Hi Tom,

> Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:46:34 -0500
> From: Thomas J McGrath III <3mcgrath at adelphia.net>
> Subject: Re: Can cards in a stack be of  different sizes

> My question is:
> If I have already created a main stack with a bunch of cards in it then
> how can I add a splash screen to it? Can I make a substack open up
> first then go to the main stack? If not how else can I do this? It
> seems it is an important preplanning stage then to decide if you are
> going to need a splash screen.
----------
There may be a better approach, but from where you are you can just set the
stack window offscreen in a preOpenStack handler, then open the Splash,
initialize, then close it and reposition the Main stack. I don't like it
though. The user could conceiveably accidentally Quit without saving by
clicking the window's close button.

So, it might be better to copy everything into a substack and empty out the
main, turn it into a splash/initializer. It can carry all the global
references to data files, image files, preferences, etc., as well as the
engine at build time, then send it offscreen. That way, the user can't
accidentally close it. Sort of the standard way to do it, but not absolute.

HTH,
Ken N.