OT - Revolution and Its HyperCard Roots

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat May 31 16:03:01 EDT 2003

Danny Grizzle wrote:

> On 5/31/03 3:09 PM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure I understand: don't single-user free standing applications
>> constitute most software products?
>
> Not in the database world. Even something seemingly as single-user as iTunes
> is much more interesting as a network aware, not just iTunes Store, but on a
> more basic level of CDDB interfacing.
>
> The game going forward is database *integration*, not solo custom database
> apps.

Ah, yes, for database apps.
I was thinking about apps in general.

>> What do you recommend for overcoming potential perception issues?
>
> Avoiding evangelizing Revolution as the heir of Hypercard. In front of
> business, that plays like Eddie Murphy's character in "Coming To America."

Amen to that, brother Danny.  No matter what fond memories we may have of
HyperCard, at this point they're just that, memories.  At least one
marketing VP at Apple is said to have narly complete disdain for HyperCard,
and if it dosn't gain favor within the company that made it, references too
HyperCard aren't likely to be any more useful elsewhere.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation