The Case For A RunRev Player (was "Stack and Substacks")

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Sat May 31 11:38:02 EDT 2003

Rob,

I don't personally find the notion of a Rev Player all that
interesting. But, if that is what you really want, it would be trivial
to make. All you would have to do is make a standalone (one for each
platform) and distribute your raw stacks. Remember that stacks
themselves are completely cross-platform.

Here are three approaches:
	Set the associations so your stacks are opened by your standalone.
	Make a standalone (i.e. Player) like the old HyperCard Home Stack.*
or
	Have users download the free version of Revolution which will act like
a player.

*Because standalones can't modify themselves, you would need to make a
prefs file which the standalone would read and save to automatically.
The prefs file could be a simple text file with the paths to the
stack(s) you want to open. The standalone would display a list of
stacks to open.

However, I don't find this approach all that interesting. I never liked
the approach of the HyperCard Home Page because it was a world unto
itself and not integrated with the MacOS like all other applications
which were just icons on the hard disk. It was difficult to make
HyperCard stacks work like "real" programs.

Revolution makes this so easy and it only adds about 2MB for the
runtime.

A different tack on this which I think is very interesting is Richard
Gaskin's RevNet (http://www.fourthworld.com/rev/).

My $.02
Bill Vlahos