Using Revolution for LARGE projects

Igor Couto igor at pixelmedia.com.au
Wed May 28 04:56:01 EDT 2003

Dear Revolution Experts,

I am considering using Revolution as a development tool in a large
project, but am hesitant because of the apparent lack of complex
applications made with Revolution - apart from Revolution itself. Most
applications I've been able to locate on the web that are made with
Revolution seem to be relatively small.

I was wondering whether anyone participating in this list has used
Revolution to develop a LARGE, COMPLEX application. To give you an idea
of the size and level of complexity I am considering, here is a bit of
information on the software package in question:

It is basically an integrated medical practice management system. The
program will:
a) Store daily appointments for doctors, and display daily and weekly
charts.
b) Manage an electronic waiting list of patients by order of arrival
c) Keep patients' clinical records (including scans of x-rays)
d) Keep an administrative to-do list
e) Maintain patients' accounts and financial information
f) Provide statistical information on doctors, patients, and the clinic
g) Issue a variety of printed reports, including invoices, receipts,
statements, patient history, consultation schedule, etc.
h) Multi-user (networked)
i) Issue alarms and notifications

Because the product must be cross-platform (Macintosh and Windows), I
have been weighting the pros and cons of both RealBasic and Revolution
- as these seem to be the most feature-full and robust cross-platform
development environments around. While RealBasic seemed appealing at
first, I soon stumbled across several limitations, some of which would
eventually compromise both the user interface, and the design of the
application. Revolution seems to have all the user-interface
functionality we want built-in (or easily customisable or
programmable), however I haven't been able to ascertain whether it
would be:

1) Sufficiently MANAGEABLE in a large project: are Revolution-based
projects just as easy to manage and maintain as projects developed with
a 'normal' object-oriented language? Are there more debugging and
maintenance problems in Revolution because of the lack of strong data
types? Is it sufficiently easy to apply object-oriented concepts of
application design (specifically classes and data structures) in
Revolution?

2) Sufficiently FAST: what database should we use as the back-end?
Valentina? MySQL? And considering that some of the windows in our
applications are going to be making several simultaneous queries to the
server, and then updating tens of objects in the interface (graphs,
option menus, tables, summary fields, etc.). Do you believe that a
Revolution interface can be made sufficiently fast and responsive - or
will the user always be dealing with some lag and screen refresh issues?

3) Sufficiently RELIABLE: the application will be absolutely
mission-critical, so reliability is a major concern. How stable and
reliable are complex applications made with Revolution?

Any experiences you have that might help in pointing me in the right
direction would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,
--
Igor de Oliveira Couto