Determining if a Mac OS X directory is locked

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue May 27 17:52:01 EDT 2003

If you get "the long folders", it gives you a line full of info for
each folder in the default folder. The second last item is a 3 digit
number that shows the Unix style permissions for the folder. The 3
digits show the permissions for the owner, the group & everyone else,
in that order. The digits if converted to binary, show whether that
item is readable, writable & executable.

e.g. 755 - convert each digit to binary -> 111 101 101 so the owner can
do everything, the group and guests can only read & execute. For a
folder to be writable, you need the relevant digit to be 6 or 7.
Of course if the third digit is less than 6, then you need to work out
whether the user is the owner or a member of the owning group :-) (I
have no idea how to do this without using shell.)

Perhaps a simpler solution is just to try writing a tiny text file. If
that fails, you know the folder is locked for the current user. If it
succeeds, you can delete the test and write your movie file.

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au
http://www.troz.net/Rev/