Building data base aps with Rev (Jan Schenkel)

James Lewes jameslewes at comcast.net
Tue May 20 07:24:01 EDT 2003

on 5/20/03 6:15 AM, Jan Schenkel at janschenkel at yahoo.com wrote:

> --- Sadhunathan Nadesan <sadhu at castandcrew.com> wrote:
>> |
>> | If you wanted to go the 'non-scripting way', I can
>> | have a look at it tomorrow ; don't have my
>> 'database'
>> | computer with me this evening.
>> |

>> Yes, for sure, I'd be interested in that too.
>>
>> Again, wow!  Many thanks.  I don't know about stuff
>> like
>> portal fields and custom props but you have given
>> so many
>> clues that, I am going to enjoy figuring it out.
>>
>> Gee, this is really wonderful of you.
>>
>> Gratefully,
>> Sadhu
>
> Hi Sadhu,
>
> As promised, I had a look at how to accomplish the
> same thing without (too much) scripting. Here's what I
> found:
>
> - use the query builder to create the same query twice
> (otherwise you get refresh issues) ; name them
> PortalQuery and DetailQuery
> SELECT * FROM locations ;
>
> - now create a new field and make it a table object ;
> use the database panel to hook it up to the
> PortalQuery and for columns pick "Show all"
>
> - now create the other fields and uise the database
> panel to hook them up to DetailQuery and pick the
> separate columns.
>
> - to round it all off, you'll want to update the
> DetailQuery fields whenever you select a different
> line in the PortalQuery table field ; so set its
> script to (as usual, watch for wrappings):
>
> on selectionChanged
> put the hilitedLines of me into tNumber
> put the cREVDatabase["queryobject"] of fld
> "DetailField1" into tObject
> put revQueryLongName(tObject) into tObject
> if exists(tObject) and the
> cREVGeneral["databasequeryobject"] of tObject is true
> then send "revGoToRecordOfQuery" && tObject & comma &
> tNumber
> end selectionChanged
>
> - of course you'll have to employ in your PortalQuery
> field the tricks I mentioned earlier to get the
> arrowKeys, etc.
>
> Hope this helped,
>
> Jan Schenkel.
>
> =====
> "As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."  (La
> Rochefoucauld)

I have tried following the discussions about Revolution and databases, but
unfortunately,  any talk about code reduces me to Santa's Little Helper (the
dog on the Simpson's for those of you who do not know). In the show,
whenever the Simpson's talk to the dog, all the dog hears is blah blah blah
blah.

Could someone possibly post, or give a link to, a small and customizeable
database for those of us with the coding skills of a newt to use and adapt
for our own needs. Or even better, a stack that walks one through the
process in 10 easy steps.

James