Trapping a system message (Quicktime component missing)

Mark Talluto revlists at canelasoftware.com
Mon May 19 12:34:01 EDT 2003

On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 01:29 AM, Malte Brill wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I hope you can help me with the following:
>
> I have an app that´s playing QT-Movies. If a user tries to open a
> DivX;-)
> movie or some other AVI in the app QuickTime displays an error message
> that
> a Software component is missing.
>
> How do I trap this message and display my own error dialogue? (On X,9
> and
> Win) as I want to inform my users, that there is a DivX;-) codec for
> Quicktime. (On MacOs) or recommend switching to non Quicktime mode (on
> Win).

If it is possible for you, you might consider providing the needed
components in your distribution of your software.  I know that the
needed components to OS X and DivX are available online.  Not sure
about the other platforms though.  A quick google search will bring up
your options for them as well.

Is there a reason you need DivX support?  Would it be possible to
encode your videos in mpeg or QT iteslf?

Best regards,
Mark Talluto
http://www.canelasoftware.com