Off Topic: Puzzle

SteelWeaver52 at aol.com SteelWeaver52 at aol.com
Sun May 18 09:37:00 EDT 2003

In a message dated 5/18/2003 8:37:55 AM Central Standard Time,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com writes:

I won't give the two temperatures that the driver noticed
as he drove by the bank.  (Many others will do that.)

But if one accepts quibbling,
there would actually be a third temperature whose
digits would be reversed IF the bank's electronic
thermometer could only display two digits, and two
digits only.  I will give that one: 40 dF  = 04 dC.

I solved this puzzle the way I often work at Marilyn
Vos Savant's puzzles.  Not by analysis of the logical
rules of the puzzle, but by assembling a mass of
data, then letting the brawn of the computer examine
the data and sort out the answer.  In this case, I
used Excel, which showed that there might be a
third one...quibbling allowed.