Application path problem in OS X standalone

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Thu May 15 15:24:01 EDT 2003

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 01:57  PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> The Finder disguises the fact that the bundle isn't a file, but the
>> underlying OS calls do not; if you ask the operating system "what is
>> the
>> path to the running application?", it gives you the path to the
>> application, not to the folder it's in.
>
> <http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/>

I think bundles are great. The user thinks they have a single-file
application. It could be say 100MB. They drag n drop it wherever they
went with the Finder. When they launch it, only the executable in the
bundle Contents/MacOS/myApp needs to be launched. So it's not like
launching a 100MB executable. The other 99.5% of the bundle's size
could be images, sounds, documentation, you name it. Pretty cool. It's
for this reason a lot of (most?) OS X developers don't bother with an
installer and use .dmg disk images instead.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com