Application path problem in OS X standalone

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Thu May 15 14:52:01 EDT 2003

At 9:57PM -0700 5/14/03, Howard Bornstein wrote:
>Under what circumstances would you want or need to know the internal
>structure of the bundle?

You can store files of your own inside the bundle, and if you do so, you
need to be able to work with the contents.

>IOW, why was the choice made to have the
>filename return the location inside the bundle rather than the location
>of the bundle itself? I'm just wondering what the justification was to
>create this cross-platform dissonance of the filename property.

Well, because that's where the executable file *is* (in actuality).

The Finder disguises the fact that the bundle isn't a file, but the
underlying OS calls do not; if you ask the operating system "what is the
path to the running application?", it gives you the path to the
application, not to the folder it's in.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
Runtime Revolution Limited - Software at the Speed of Thought
http://www.runrev.com/