shell() and sudo

Yennie at aol.com Yennie at aol.com
Wed May 14 17:30:01 EDT 2003

Good point. I guess that surfaces my assumptions about where it would be used
=).
In any case, I think the problem with open process is that it has been broken
for some time on OS X. If that's fixed, then it's definitely the way to go.

You could also write the password to a file and then pipe that to the sudo
command- that would at least solve the process listing security hole
(provided you protect and delete the file).

Sounds like we need to check and see if open process is working on OS X yet.
Anyone?

> On a multiuser machine that would be a security risk. Any user could
> see the password in cleartext if they happened to run "ps" while the
> command above was executing. On a single user machine it wouldn't
> really matter, but a better solution would be to wrap the sudo command
> using open/read/write process.

Brian Yennie
Chief Technology Officer
QLD Learning, LLC