Post, post command in 1.1.1 acting weird

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Mon May 5 05:38:00 EDT 2003

Thank you to Chipp and Dave for the suggestions.

The bug I was running into was a combination of two issues. I hate two
bug bugs.

The first was the perennial  "how do I make revolution on my OS, insert
the end of line character that is required by another OS when my system
is feeding the other system data and revolution tries to out smart me
and do what it thinks I want instead of what I said I wanted".  That
problem was resolved by playing around with single line SQL statements
and making sure they executed correctly and then trying to combine
lines using different line separators until a combination worked
correctly.

The second was a system error of "why is the min() function in an SQL
statement suddenly considered invalid when max() works just fine". That
problem I will have our internal systems person fix in his code and in
the mean time I altered my SQL to not use the min() function.

Because of some other unknown issues yet to be determined, I had
already added retry code (suggested by Chipp) and I now surround each
SQL query (via HTTP post) with a select of static text. Even if the
query returns empty, the pre and post selects of static text should
return something. If the static text is not in the results, I know
something failed. I'll retry a failed query 4 times and then do the
libUrlResetAll and then try again.

For some reason, during all this troubleshooting, it did appear that
the lvBlockingUrl variable was not emptied on restart of Revolution. If
it was in a weird state when Revolution was quit, that weird state
indicator remained on restart. It did not appear to get initialized on
restart.

I ran the libUrl updater but from what I can see, I already had the
most recent released production version.

Thanks again, for the assistance.

Kee Nethery

PS: It is way cool that we can step into the Revolution libraries and
see what is happening under the covers. I was able to look at the
signaling used by Revolution and see what it thought was happening and
rule out a bunch of conjectures as to the source of the problem.