Icon queries

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 02:24:00 EST 2003

OnSun, 30 Mar 2003 14:38:51 -0500, Ken Norris <pixelbird at interisland.net>
>  wrote:
>
>>  Have I missed it? I hope not, since I
>>  would be a woefully bad author of such a thing myself... if anyone
>>  can help, please tell the list!
>----------
>Well, you probably saw it but didn't quite believe it (because it's so
>simple and easy to deal with).
>
>Icons are images, the same as all other images. You just assign the image
>you want to a transparent button, for whatever hilite type you wish. I'm
>sorry to disappoint you if you were expecting something more complicated,
>but that's really about all there is it.
>
>Have fun ;+)

Ken, thanks, but I know icons are images. However I'm trying to
attach appropriate families of icons to my standalone and its
documents on the various platforms, so that (for example) the user
sees a unique icon to double-click to start the app, either directly
or by double-clicking an associated document. For me, buttons aren't
involved at all. My problem is discovering what the OS expects in the
way of icon families to represent the different types of display of
an app or a file (in a list, on the desktop, in use, on a 16-color
display etc.), and then how to create such families either in Rev or
some other way.

Since writing my mail, I have downloaded the Mac shareware
Iconographer from www.mscape.com. This looks like tremendous value,
because it explains a lot about icon families, and it can even
generate Windows-compatible application icons, including the newer
standard used by Windows XP, as well as conventional Mac icons for
pre-X and X. It's the nearest to a cookbook that I've come so far.

Graham