Parallel Rev stacks

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Sun Mar 30 20:29:01 EST 2003

Hi Ken,

As you are using HyperCard I am assuming that this is all on Macs. In
that case, AppleScript can do a lot of what you want whenever Rev can't
do it itself.

For web browsers, you can use the revGoURL command which switches to
the default browser and goes to that page. If the web page has a form
of any sort, then again, you can probably do it by assembling the web
address for the form and using revGoURL to send the data. e.g. to
search Google for "aardvarks", I can use the following Rev command:
	revGoURL "http://www.google.com/search?q=aardvarks"

Similarly, email can be done from Rev, currently using revGoURL but in
Rev 2.0 there is the much more powerful revMail command which allows
you to generate an email including address, subject and message body.

For other apps, a combination of Transcript and AppleScript can do the
job. Supposing you were writing a letter: use the on-screen keyboard to
type all the characters, then copy the text from Rev, use AppleScript
to open AppleWorks, create a new word processing document, paste the
text into AppleWorks, save and print. The applications you can use in
this way will be restricted to those that can be scripted, but this
shouldn't limit you too much.

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au