Icon queries

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 29 12:58:00 EST 2003

I'm reaching the stage with my first Revo development of trying to
build a saleable version of the app - in fact three versions, Mac
OS9, Mac OSX and Windows. I am gradually solving various problems.
The next big thing is the Icon Question. When I used to develop using
SuperCard on pre-X Macs, I learned just enough about icons and
ResEdit to create a family (is this the right word?) of icons for
each of my apps, and I used the SC StandaloneMaker tool to plug them
into my app. Each icon has to be a family and not just a single image
because you need coloured ones, black and white ones, dimmed ones,
small ones etc to provide the OS with all the variations it needs. I
never completely understood how to create a complete family in
ResEdit because I never found any kind of account of the way Mac
icons work, but somehow I got it to work.

Now with RR, I am faced with having to create three different icon
sets, all obeying rules I know absolutely nothing about and all
requiring construction tools I've never even heard of (except perhaps
ResEdit, but this may no longer be relevant).

I have searched the usual RR sources, and there is a huge wealth of
icon-related discussion in the archive, but so far I haven't come
across any kind of cross-platform icon cookbook that essentially
tells me the shortest route to custom icons for apps and their
documents on each platform. Have I missed it? I hope not, since I
would be a woefully bad author of such a thing myself... if anyone
can help, please tell the list!

TIA

Graham