[OT] Flash wants standalones

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Mar 27 20:52:01 EST 2003

Jim,

Thanks for the link. Now I get where they're going. It's like the
'ubiquitous stack player' we sometimes chat about around here. One that can
download and run stacks just by clicking on a link. They're providing the
distribution service along with a UDDI type directory service -- while
charging a toll along the way (when commerce is involved).

They've correctly identified the limits of such a device - specifically
focussed in the security sandbox area. While interesting, I'll be very
surprised if it really takes off. I have seen this model before, and it's a
very difficult one to make work. Lot's of companies have spent a lot of $$$
trying to launch similar products (dodots, thePort, IBM to name a few). But,
then again, the Flash community is very large, and there are some creative
types out there. Course, I still can't find any public Web Services which I
would want to embed in a Flash (or RR) app. Not sure that Emperor (WS) is
wearing all that much right now.

Here are a couple of very intersting things to watch for.

1) How big is the main download going to be?
2) How 'intrusive' will it be? Will it auto-install in the sysTray? Will it
'check for updates' without permission? Will it have *any* spyware?
3) How long before hackers can figure a way to spread viruses using the
tool. It *will* happen.
4) How will Macromedia respond when it does get hacked?
5) How will Macromedia deal with content? Will *they* censor specific
content, such as porn, mp3s or hacker tools, etc? This is potentially a
tough one, with some serious legal consequences both ways.

<ramble>

Recently, I looked at purchasing an IO pen from Logitech. But was
immediately turned off by the ~20Mb .NET installation required. I suppose it
was developed using C# -- so now I have to install 20Mb just so the
programmers don't have to keep track of their pointers;-). Basically, all
the software does is download JPG's from the pen to my computer via USB ---
20Mbs! You got to be kidding!

I'm currently knee deep in the client side of a content management system
rewrite and using RR. When finished, it will be an excellent example of the
success of client interfaces vs. browser interfaces. Basically the exact
stuff Richard Gaskin wrote about (and Scott Raney as well). Interesting to
note, it's amazing how user expectations of clients vs. browser (form based)
interfaces are so far apart. While typical web form application interface is
pretty much a no-brainer these days, crafting the same functionality (and of
course making it significantly easier to use), is not only a challenge, but
one which users will voice the limitations of quickly!

</ramble>

Chipp