Accessing remote MySQL database

Brad Allen BradAllen at mac.com
Tue Mar 25 09:11:01 EST 2003

>I have been through the Rev  documentation and the mail list
>archives, but can't find an answer to this one.
>
>I want to access a MySQL database on my OS X server through
>Revolution. I try the revdb_connect() function, passing the server
>name, the database name, the user name and password as parameters.
>But I get back an error message that says "Access denied for user
>'<my username@<my computer's dns name>' (Using password:YES)".
>
>Am I doing this right? Can I access a remote MySQL database in this
>way? The documentation is not specific on this matter. Neither are
>the archives.

I got stuck for awhile on the same error message. It turns out, as a
default, the root mySQL user can only access mySQL from the local
machine. For remote access, you should create another user and give
it access from the host you'll be connecting from (or if you want
that user to be able to connect from any address use '%' under the
host column when you create the user.)