Browse file local HTML files on Jaguar

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Sun Mar 23 02:19:01 EST 2003

On Saturday, March 22, 2003, at 05:33  PM, Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
wrote:

> Anyone have a solution to this: not a Rev problem really, but an Apple
> one:

I don't know if it's Apple's problem either.

The C API is called Launch Services, seems poorly documented and I
don't know how you can access it from Revolution.

I've never seen HTML files open up in TextEdit. I just created a test
account on my OS X 10.2 machine and created an empty html document, and
by default it opened up in Safari. I *think* a on fresh OS X install
they would probably open up with Internet Explorer.

But the user can override this via the Finder if they want to. This
doesn't change their "default browser" in their preferences, but it
does change the action for "file:///" URLs. Maybe the user deserves
this fate if they have been messing with their app binding for .html
files?

If you really think you need to control it, I think your best bet would
be using applescript to do something like

-search user's defaults for their web browser of choice
-get it's path
-use applescript to open html file with that browser.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com