QT player object problems

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 18:14:01 EST 2003

I have a couple of player objects with QT movies in them. My user is
allowed to drag these player objects around the screen - during the
drag, the movies will not actually be playing. When the user lets go
the mouse, the movie begins to play in the loc it's ended up in,

This is all very easy to accomplish in RR (for example using the
'grab' command for the dragging), and I can add custom properties to
my player object and generally treat it like an image or a grc, apart
from two related problems:

I can't buffer the player because if I do, RR ignores the masking on
the movies, and each one always gets a white rectangle around it
(people on the list told me the trick of switching off buffering to
allow the transparency to operate); but if buffering is not set, then
the drag process is incredibly jerky and slow in any machine below
about 500Mhz (I'm talking about Macs here, but I'm sure I'm going to
have the same problem on PCs). The only way I've thought of getting
around this is to use an image of the (stopped) movie in the drag
part of the program, and substitute it with the player object when I
want the movie to play. But this will be clumsy, will involve a lot
more code, and will give an inferior user experience because the
movie will always appear to stop at the same frame, which isn't the
case now.

Can anyone help with a better idea? Will either of these issues
(buffering, speed) go away in 2.0? I have still not ventured into the
2.0 beta.

TIA

Graham