custom buttons

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Mar 21 13:07:01 EST 2003

Recently, "Chris Sheffield"  wrote:

> Why is it that if I use a transparent button with a
> custom image, I can't get the button label to look
> right?  If I enter a label such as "Exit" for my
> button, and select the Show Name property, the label
> displays below the custom graphic, not centered on it.
> I can adjust the margins so that the label seems to
> be centered on the button, but it displays behind the
> image, not on top of it.  Is there any way to make
> this work.  Seems like strange behavior.

Looks like that's just the default behavior.  An alternate option you can
use is to place your transparent button with label (no icon) on a forwqrd
layer and place a second button behind it in which you display your button
states.  This requires that you use two objects for each button but it will
provide the effect you want.

Otherwise, it's not unusual to place button labels below buttons (a lot of
Mac OSX is designed this way).  You might want to consider this approach.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design