Streaming media [was:Scripted musical notation available ]

Malte Brill malte.brill at t-online.de
Fri Mar 21 07:19:01 EST 2003

Erik wrote:

>in the future i hope to use Rev on websites to
>send video to dancers who can study at home,
>maximizing expensive rehearsal time. as well as
>for the fun of it. there are 30 half hour
>episodes of Street Dancers Alternative To
>Violence, my community tv show.

>that will have to await developments, but the
>idea that students might be motivated to
>step-read code by programs that do things that
>excite them, is my guiding light.

@ Erik.
I wish you all the best with your project. I was teaching computer-courses
in youth centers back in the 80. It is allways a joy to see youth that have
aggressions due to their social background getting a perspective. I think it
is very important to give youth a place to be, something to do they enjoy
and to try creating new fields of interest with them. :-)

The technical aspect of what you are trying to do wakes my interest, too.
How do you want to deliver your media? As a download or streamed? I have
been trying to display media (.mpg video) from the Web in a Stack.
Has anyone succeded streaming video directly into rev, without the need of
downloading the whole File? In my teststack the player refused playing the
video/audio until the file was completely in cache.

@Lui: Coding can be lots of fun don´t get frustrated if you get stuck
sometimes ( I guess all of us do/did sometimes) If you want to learn more
about Rev, the Revolution Newbies board:

http://www.mailping.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

is also great resource.
You might want to take a look at the usercontributions section of runrev,
too.

Regards,

Malte