Ping

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Wed Mar 19 17:39:01 EST 2003

On Thursday, Mar 20, 2003, at 04:01 Australia/Sydney, Ben Rubinstein
<benr_mc at cogapp.com> wrote:

Ben

I saw that you were discussing with Dar using Open in Rev, as your
spare machines are OS 9, but if you have an OS X machine a low overhead
way to do this is to write a very short shell script in OS X to ping,
append the output to a log file and sleep for half to one minute. Run
that in background at low priority and it will be unnoticeable in any
circumstance. A cron job or the next sentence's Rev app can keep the
log to a day's data. On a spare OS 9 machine, write your Rev app which
parses the host's log, analyses and presents events. I personally would
find this simpler, given your resources, compared with fiddling with
open, close and timeouts, as everything is short to write and will work
immediately.

regards
David