How to ping?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Mar 19 12:56:00 EST 2003

On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 09:46 AM, Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> So, two alternative questions:
>     - how could I (can I?) code a 'ping' function in Rev?

Use shell.

>     - what is the lowest impact method that I could use, in
> Revolution, to
> probe a network device?

If you can have two telnet sessions at the same time on your router,
then do an open test to that port.  Be sure and close it.  The two is
so your usual maintenance and the testing do not interfere.

If it has http control and you never use it, then use that port instead.

There has been some discussion on how to make an open timeout.  (Use
send.)  In your case you may not need that; don't bother with callbacks
in that case.  If you don't create an open timeout, then the open will
timeout in 21 seconds on some Windows (maybe all) and 75 seconds on OS
X.

(There may be ways to avoid dedicating a computer.)

Dar