Flash/QTdebug/ActiveX

Trevor DeVore trevor at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Mar 19 12:50:00 EST 2003

On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 11:43  AM, Scott Rossi wrote:

>>> Being able to use Flash animations natively in Revolution would be
>>> very nice.  Using it within QuickTime is a suitable workaround for
>>> now.
>
> Just curious, what would be the benefit of running Flash natively
> within
> Rev?  You can build a standalone Flash projector so you can already
> build
> Flash applications.

Flash projectors by themselves are very limited in what they can do
when it comes to interacting with the operating system.  You need to
buy 3rd party tools to even begin to have system level functionality.
If you've seen things like Britannica's DVD they have a cool example of
integrating Flash with their Knowledge Navigator (I think that is the
name).

> Personally, I would rather see Rev updated with some of Flash's
> features:
> text and graphic antialiasing, draw object transparency, multichannel
> sound
> (not using QT), rotatable text, etc.  Why use two separate tools to
> get the
> job done when you could use one?

It would be nice to have Rev be able to do the things that Flash does
but Flash is a very powerful vector animation tool and recreating the
useful things it can do would be a lot of work.  I like using the best
tools for the job when they can be integrated together.

Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com