Rev and mySQL

Chris Sheffield cm_sheffield at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 16:09:01 EST 2003

Alex,

Thanks for responding.  I have looked into Valentina
as well.  I've tried getting it to work and can't.
I've tried just doing a simple test to see if I can
connect to a Valentina database, but the functions are
failing.  I'm thinking that Rev is not finding the
external as it should be.  Any hints there?  Do you
have any working examples?  I've read in the docs that
you can use the Rev built-in database functions or use
the functions in the Valentina external, but I can't
get either one to work.  There's a file in the
Revolution folder called Valentina Engine.  Is this
the external, or do I need to download something else?

There was an example I saw on using custom properties
in a stack to store data.  Actually, I think it used
an external stack and created a card for each
"record".  It was interesting, and it might work.

My problem is that we're developing software that
comes in two versions:  a stand-alone single-user and
a multi-user network version.  In the future we'd also
like to have a web version.  So there's a very good
possibility that there will be multiple concurrent
users of my software.  This is the reason for checking
into mySQL, but I'd like a solution that will work for
all versions.  I'd rather not have to use two
different databases if possible.  I know that Paradima
Software is currently working on a client/server
version of Valentina, but I can't even get the
single-user version to work right.  I'm probably just
doing something wrong.  Valentina's docs are a bit
cryptic to me.

If anyone has any working examples, I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally