Supercard vs. Rev

curry curry at pair.com
Mon Mar 17 22:03:01 EST 2003

I think it's too bad there's so little "love" shown between different
xCard environment developers, and to a lesser extent (more goodwill)
their users. :-)

I've heard about things like Linux desktop conferences where vendors
of different products work together to inform the public about what's
available now, to the common good and the advancement of their shared
interests and market although they have competing products.
Descendants of HyperCard are certainly receiving less attention than
they deserve in the world based on their practical merits, so who
knows, it might be productive sometime if users or even the companies
which produce the xCard products would do something like this. Why
not an xCard product and scripting conference for companies,
developers, and the public? (Of course, the first thing is to find
good words for calling it, if something is better than "xCard" which
I don't think is great for consumers.)

Also, from my perspective, I just invest time and money, not my ego
or sense of self-esteem and security, into the product I use. In
private conversation I've discussed with others about the need for
people to convince themselves that they are using the right product
and have made the right decision in the "road" they've taken with a
product. I think this probably affects some people in all user
communities and I've seen confirmation of this behavior in many
places. I suppose it's a type of loyalty to others which relates back
to yourself because of investment.

That tendency obviously is there in the mind for a reason and has a
valid place, as long as it doesn't get out of hand, but as a user
that has chosen one path I don't mind hearing a bit about the other
"road" and that could be a good thing if it is productive and not too
negative, and some of that will depend on responses as well as what
is being responded to. Just as some collaboration between competitors
with xTalk products might help to advance xTalk itself and raise
awareness for customers and developers, some communication between
users (or even the companies, theoretically although they don't seem
too friendly looking at their messages toward each other ;-) might
help users and the products.

SuperCard and Revolution both have strengths and weaknesses that we
cannot deny, and there's really no reason to feel that one has to be
vindicated in order to breath easy and continue to use it. Which one
is better depends on which strengths and weaknesses you are
enthusiastic about and willing to live with, and what are your needs
and priorities in using the product. (If you have a lot of money and
a wide variety of needs, you can have both!) I think everyone will
benefit by both products improving. Some discussions maybe do not
belong on the lists and should be elsewhere, and that's up the
companies and list owners, but it seems some, such as "what's the
best way for a product to accomplish this task" or "should we have
this feature, or something else, comparing to the feature of the
other product" would be very relevant.

As far as RealBasic goes (since it was also mentioned) it has many
neat and unique features, but if the choice is available, I like to
work with something based on what I admire and believe is the
preferable or superior way to do something (the paradigm coming from
HyperCard) rather than what I see as the standardized but not
necessarily more deserving way that people have been forced to accept
(the method coming from Microsoft). You can see the pattern of what
becomes standardized vs. what is best everywhere--JavaScript was
mentioned on the Rev list, and in the past there were discussions
about alternatives to the C language before everyone gave in and shut
up about it. I see RB as a lot more than the standard because of its
innovations and style, and think it's a good useful product, but I
still have to very much prefer using xTalk products and getting the
benefits of the xTalk advantages as long as they can deliver the
features I need.

Best wishes to all those using Revolution and SuperCard and I hope
that xCard in general has increasing success that it deserves
according to its features!

Curry