Rev math

curry curry at pair.com
Mon Mar 17 18:48:00 EST 2003

>No, you must avoid operations that are inherently inaccurate. For
>instance, in the formula for the solutions of a quadratic equation
>only one of the plus/minus possibilities is guaranteed to be
>accurate. For a stable computation of the second you need to use a
>different formula completely.

Thanks to the explanations and try some more examples, I've got it
now as far as the purposes I need it for. I'm thinking of using user
input for operands of fairly simple calculations, so right now I
won't need to worry too much about the kind of situations you
mentioned such as using the result of one calculation for another and
the cumulative loss in accuracy.

So for basic purposes, we can choose to limit or process user input
or not for display purposes, but it will be just as accurate to use
the raw number going into the calculation. Then we just round at an
appropriate place. Sounds good to me.

Best wishes,

Curry