Can't add file extension in Windows

miscdas at boxfrog.com miscdas at boxfrog.com
Mon Mar 17 08:07:01 EST 2003

Howard Bornstein writes:
[snip]
> Apparently, under XP, even if you explicitly add ".jpg" to the filename
> in the save dialog, it deletes it from the file.
>
> I'm a Mac guy so I'm not up on Windows extensions, but does XP remove (at
> least from the user's view) file extensions, even though it knows
> internally what the file type is?

Windoze management, in their infinite Wisdom regarding what users SHOULD see
by default , decided that showing file extensions is a bad idea in general.
Therefore, the default mode is for extensions (at least for "known file
types") to be turned off. The extensions are NOT DELETED; they are simply
not displayed. Also, the default display setting for the file information
for System and Hidden files is to not be displayed. So, be aware that if you
think you are "hiding" a file by setting its attribute to hidden, you don't
hide it from everyone.

miscdas