Grep help - remove HTML tags

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Fri Mar 14 12:17:01 EST 2003

On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 07:46  AM, Keith Whitney wrote:
> Thanks for the reply! What I neglected to explain clearly was rather
> than simply stripping the HTML tags and displaying in a field, I want
> to separate the tagged text into different variables for placement
> into different elements (titles in a list field, content in a
> different field, etc.)

Regex support in Rev can do this. I think your filter command:

filter field "myField" with "<title>(.*)</title>"
is using a Regex but filter only supports wildcards, not actual regex.

Try something like this
put "alksj dqwlkj ea jsdkljsa <title>fu</title> l klejqw lkejqw" into
tHtmlContent
put empty into tTitle -- don't forget this
get matchText(tHtmlContent, "<title>(.*)</title>", tTitle)
put tTitle into fld "myField"

I agree with the other poster, a real XML parser would be a better way
to go. What if the HTML is mixed case <TitLE>soemthing</tiTLE>?

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com