use-revolution digest, Vol 1 #1190 - 12 msgs

Klaus Major k_major at os.surf2000.de
Thu Mar 13 10:37:01 EST 2003

Hi Bradley, hi Valetia,

> Valetia,
>
> There are some limitations. I've run tests in 1.1.1 and 2 pre-beta
> (though not the very latest) and
> uncovered some quirky behavior. 1.1.1 ran animations VERY slowly, but
> handled mouse actions
> well. V2 ran animations well, but took the SWF within Rev took several
> seconds to respond to
> mouseDown actions,

I think it also depends on what version of QT you have installed.

I remember that only version 6 supports all sounds in Flash-files.
Most of the Flash-files i played with QT 5 were silent...

> I still haven't figured out how to pass commands from an SWF within Rev
> to the Rev player (as you can with an SWF in Director using Lingo, or
> a browser
> using JavaScrip, with the getURL command).

There is only one chance to do this and it requires another software :-(

With "LIveStage Pro" (maybe other QT editors can do that, too) you can
add a "qtdebugstr"
message to objects/sprites/flash-buttons in a QT movie.

And that "qtdebugstr" can be trapped in RR (see the docs) like this in
the script of a player:

on qtdebugstr thestring
   switch thestring
     case "you hit me"
         add 1 to fld "hits"
     break

> So if you're just using flash to create motion onscreen, you should be
> OK. If I could get Rev
> to see these commands from an SWF as QT I can see Rev being a really
> useful tool for me --
> Flash as modular eye candy, with the ease and cross-platform
> capabilities of Rev.
>
> Brad

Hope that helps (at least a bit ;-)

Regards