Menu manager/switch problem

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 12 03:20:00 EST 2003

Ken Norris wrote:

> **********
>> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:24:08 -0800
>> Subject: Re: Menu manager/switch problem
>> From: Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
>>
>> Ken Norris wrote:
>>
>>> What's going on? Has this been discussed before? (not sure what to search on
>>> in the archives for it).
>>
>> If you're on a Mac, the About should be appearing as the first item under
>> the Apple menu.  If it's not there I'll see that it's fixed in the next
>> revision.
> ----------
> OK, but I'm tellin' ya, I didn't edit the Apple menu, I edited the Help
> menu. Why should an item edited in the Help menu, regardless of what name it
> has, end up in another (Apple) menu? IMHO, that's crazy %)

Once again, the engine compensates for Apple's unique ways:  all other
modern OSes don't have an Apple menu, placing the About item as the last
item in the Help menu.

In a Mac-specific tool like SuperCard, it makes sense to have an Apple menu,
but if a multi-platform app this would complicate menu handling, requiring
you to build three different sets of menus:  One for Mac Classic, one for OS
X, and another for all other OSes.

The solution is simplicity itself, if a little counter-intuitive intially:
the engine automatically moves the last item of the Help menu to become the
first item in the Apple menu in Mac Classic, and becomes the first item in
the application's menu under OS X.

As with the stack resizing automatically to hide the meny group on Mac, this
approach lets you build one menu bar and it will work on all platforms
without additional scripting.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation