license issues (was mystery exception)

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Tue Mar 11 21:04:01 EST 2003

On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 06:49  AM, Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> So... if you use 'do', or change the script of objects on the fly, be
> aware
> that code which works fine in the IDE will be subject to limitations
> in a
> standalone.

Ack! I did not know this. Just to see if I am understanding correctly:
as long as no single call to "do", or "value" (or other functions that
compile transcript on the fly),  no single call exceeds 10 lines them
I'm OK in a standalone?

Now I see this issue IS mentioned in the Transcript Dictionary for the
do command. Now I have read the License Agreement.rtf and it's pretty
clearly spelled out there.

But RunRev, you are covered in the License Agreement; why cripple
standalone compiled apps? Clearly the feature-limited Starter Kit IDE
is a good thing. I just don't fully understand why the need to cripple
standalone apps. Just to provide active insurance for what the license
permits- so nobody will go out and create a Transcript interpreter with
a cool IDE?

I feel kinda dumb for using Revolution for ~5 months and not realizing
this until now. Here are some thoughts.

1) I think it's ever-so-slightly misleading for Runrev to claim on
their website, feature list:
"Royalty-free distribution"
"Pay once, deliver anywhere."
Maybe that should be amended - "subject to certain dynamic compiling
features."

2) Make the Distribution Builder somewhat aware of the issue. "Hrm, you
seem do be using the do command a lot. Are you aware of license
restrictions on standalone apps and compiling scripts?"

3) This should be in red block letters at the top of the documentation
for the do command, for lazy folk like me who don't always read license
agreements. ;-)

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com