Multiple background group hierarchy

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 11 14:14:02 EST 2003

Ken Norris wrote:

>> Take a look at the long ID of a grouped control:
>>
>> button id 10041 of group id 10042 of card id 10001 of stack "whatever.mc"
>>
>> The owner of an object is the containing object, so getting the owner of a
>> grouped control is equivalent to getting the target and then delete word 1
>> to 4 of it.  Very handy in many instances.
> ----------
> Yes, I've noticed some posted scripts that do this. Can you please give a
> brief description of why/where you would use such a technique as opposed to
> getting the owner of a grouped control?

I'll have to leave that to Scott Raney.  If memory serves he once made a
post about how it might be more reliable to use the latter method, but I've
had such good results with "the owner" that I rarely bother.

Scott - under what circumstances is using "the owner" suboptimal?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation