Read From locked files under WinNT

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 16:20:00 EST 2003

--- "R. Hillen" <mail at richard-hillen.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wrote a minimal program to read textfiles: "answer
> file, open file,
> read from file, put it into fld xxx, close file" and
> made a standalone
> for Windows using RunRev 1.1.1 on MacOSX.
>
> On two WindowsComputer (WinNT, Win2000) I had a
> simple TextFile to test
> it and it all was ok: the data were read!
>
> Next I tried to read a text file, which was locked,
> as it came from a
> measurement-system by floppy (write protected, as I
> learned from the
> file-properties) and got the message, that the file
> couldnt be read.
> I unlocked the file and the file could be read
> again.
>
> But why?
>
> On both machines we use a Sandbox-Program, "Surfin
> Shield", which said
> in Admin-Mode" The program tries to write to the
> registry. This is  not
> allowed!"
>
> So I wonder, why such a simple programm wants to
> write to the registry?
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Thanx in advance!
>
> Richard Hillen

Hi Richard,

If you re-read the entry for 'open file' in the
Transcript DIctionary, you'll see a paragraph that
says: "If you don't specify a form, the file is opened
for update."
As you can't open a locked file for update, the file
can't be opened. Why your sandox-program claims you're
messing in the regitry, is a mistery to me, however.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====