Goofy button behavior

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Mar 10 15:50:01 EST 2003

**********
> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:38:11 +0000
> From: Dave Cragg <dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: Goofy button behavior

> But when you set the backgroundbehavior, the group's script is also
> the background script.
----------
Are you sure? I don't see that a background is the same as a group. I
thought there is a difference, i.e., there can be more than one group with
bg behavior. Does this mean all groups with bg behavior excute each other's
scripts?
----------
> I don't think it's wonky that a background
> script should catch unhandled messages from controls on the card.
----------
No, but that there may be more than one group with background behavior.

OK, I have 47 buttons in a group with bg behavior. The intention is to have
its mouseUp handler work for ONLY the objects assigned to that group. IOW,
the background behavior is intended for group(s) to show up on all the
cards. Since there is really no such thing as a "background script", I
expect the separate groups to act like controls, i.e., retain independent
scripts operable only by the objects which belong to each. There are also 2
large images (800x600) which are in 2 separate groups, also with bg behavior
(no scripts).

So if I have 16 separate groups with bg behavior and different mouseUp
handlers in each group, any non-grouped button with an empty script will
execute all 16 different handlers? This is a difficult concept for me.

That might be useful in some cases, but what it looks like is that I should
go ahead and put a mouseUp handler in each of the 47 buttons of the group
which all call a group handler (seems redundant). Or maybe I should put the
other buttons, which each have different handlers, in their own bg group
with no script. Would they still try to run the scripts of other bg groups
if the script of the group to which they belong is empty? What if a button
belonging to another group WITH bg behavior has no script. What will it do
with regard to mouseUp handlers which are in other bg groups?

I just can't seem to get my brain wrapped around how groups with bg behavior
work. It seems that there is no hierarchy between groups which all have
background behavior, since there is not really a background entity with a
script. I really need a 3D map, some kind of visual representation of how it
works, cuz I'm still not gettin' it.

Ken N.