sentences as items

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Thu Mar 6 20:31:00 EST 2003

>Message: 6
>Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 16:19:01 +0100
>Subject: sentences as items
>From: Toma Tasovac <ttasovac at princeton.edu>
>To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>
>How can I make Revolution count each sentence in a field as an item --
>so that I can then easily manipulate whole sentences as item 1, item 2
>etc.  In other words is there a magical way to make several characters
>("." "?" "!") count as the same itemDelimiter?
>
>All best,
>Toma

Toma,

I'm not sure what kind of manipulation  you had in mind but as an
example of what you might try, the mouseUp handler below will
interchange sentences 3 and 5 in text in which all sentences end in
.,? or !

It's not pretty. It puts a new delimiter at the end of each sentence,
does the manipulation and then deletes the delimiter.

On mouseUP
   put "*" into tChar --Or some less likely character
   put field 1 into tText
   put addDelimiter(tText,tChar) into tText
   put interchangeSentences(3,5,tText,tChar)into tText
   replace tChar with "" in tText
   put  tText into field 2
end mouseUP

function addDelimiter temp,tChar
   replace "." with "." & tChar in temp
   replace "?" with "?" & tChar in temp
   replace "!" with "!" & tChar in temp
   return temp
end addDelimiter

function interchangeSentences n,m,theText,tChar
   set the itemdelimiter to tChar
   put item n of theText into temp
   put item m of theText into item n of theText
   put temp into  item m of theText
   return theText
end interchangeSentences

Hope this gives you some ideas.