Sort, Find, RawKeyDown ... / diacritical problems.

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 06:59:01 EST 2003

--- Pierre <pierre.bernaert at www.runrev.com> wrote:
> De: Pierre <pierre.bernaert>
> Date: Sam 1 mars 2003  09:20:33 Europe/Paris
> À: Liste Révolution
> <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Objet: Sort,  Find, RawKeyDown ... / diacritical
> problems.
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a french and i'm in the process of translating
> major (For me)
> applications written with Hypercard to RR 1.1.
>
> The main tools of some of them mainly relies on
> "HyperText" approach.
>
> I found, using RR, that SORT and FIND commands
> didn't work  with words
> having diacritical (Lettres accentuées).
>
> Here is a small transcript which demonstrates what I
> mean for sorting:
>
> On MouseUp
>    Put

"?uf,Elephant,Eléphant,Élephant,Éléphant,èléphant,Tigre,"
> into
> OriginalValue
>    Put OriginalValue into SortedValue
>    Sort Items of line 1 of SortedValue
>    Answer "Original Value :" && OriginalValue &
> return & "Sorted Value
> :" && SortedValue  & return &   Return & "The
> correct spelling in
> french is 'éléphant or Eléphant and ?uf', other
> spellings are mistakes"
> End MouseUp
>
> The result is :

,Elephant,Eléphant,Tigre,Élephant,Éléphant,èléphant,?uf

> Observing what the result is for "Tigre" and "?uf"
> shows what the
> problem is ...
>

> Too bad for the command Find , for example "Find
> Eléphant" will not
> find éléphant
>
> [snip]
>
> As far as I am concerned I don't see how to deal
> with this, so my
> question to the members of this list is
>
> Has some members an idea on how to solved this and
> better has someone
> made it work ??
>
> Many Thanks

Bonjour Pierre,

This issue has come up in the past. The easiest
solution is to use the 'international' clause:
  sort lines of tVariable international
However, some people have reported strange results, so
your mileage may vary.

If it doesn't work, you can adopt a different
technique, which I described in an earlier post.
Here's the link:
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2002-September/008173.html

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

PS: here's a handy link for using google to search the
use-revolution archives :
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=site:lists.runrev.com