Revolution vs. MetaCard

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Sun Mar 2 17:30:01 EST 2003

Hi Chris,

There are many people on this list more qualified than me to answer
this one, but I'll make the first attempt and they can all jump in when
I get it wrong :-)

Basically, Revolution IS Metacard but with a different front-end plus
some added features. Revolution runs on the Metacard engine, so
anything MC can do, Rev can do too (unless it is something that only
appears in the latest version of MC - Rev is sometimes a version
behind).

My recommendation would be to download both starter kits, have a go at
the tutorials and see which one feels more comfortable. For me,
Metacard had the power but didn't operate in a way I could relate to.
Rev came along and I found that it suited me very well, so I chose Rev,
but I realise this is just a personal preference. There have been some
reports of Metacard being more stable, but most of Rev's instability is
in the development environment. Compiled apps are extremely stable.

I can't help you with the database query. I know Rev has a lot of
features for accessing various forms of external database, but I don't
know how much of that is in MetaCard too.

Cheers,
Sarah