Speaking of voices

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sun Jun 29 22:45:01 EDT 2003

Hi Jim,

> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:18:04 -0700
> From: Jim Hurley
> Subject: Speaking of voices

snip

> on mouseUP
> revsetspeechVoice "Bruce"
> if revIsSpeaking() then
> revstopSpeech
> else revspeak me
> end mouseUP
----------
The above won't work properly because you needed set the stop condition
first, otherwise it just starts up the speech sequence on mouseUp, which
will kill and ignore any previous condition.

This is normal AFAIK with conditional statements. The above is simply out of
sequence, so it just keeps starting up from scratch like it did the first
time.
----------
> The purpose was to allow the user to stop the speech with a second
> MouseUp. For reasons I do not understand it doesn't work. Instead of
> stopping, it starts over. (Apparently, revSetSpeechVoice causes
> revIsSpeaking() to return false, even though rev may be speaking.)

> However, the following works just fine:
>
> on mouseUP
> if revIsSpeaking() then
> revstopSpeech
> else
> revsetspeechVoice "Bruce"
> revspeak me
> end if
> end mouseUP
Yes...see, you set up the condition that stops it first.