Import Snapshot from MoviePlayer doesnt work?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Jun 29 20:19:00 EDT 2003

Recently, R. Hillen wrote:

> I want to get the first image of a movie.
>
> As  Chipp Walters suggested, I tried to do a "Import snapshot from the
> rect of player ..".
>
> But I got an image of the movieplayer with a white plane; no Movie ;-(.
>
> May you help again?

Two things:

1) Make sure you convert the points of your rect to the global coordinate
system, similar to the following:

import snapshot from rect \
    globalLoc(topLeft of player 1) & "," & globalLoc(botRight of player 1)

2)  If you're using QuickTime to display your movie, and your movie source
is a DVD, you may not be able to get any screen capture, due to Apple's
built-in copy protection.  Not sure if this is still present in the latest
version of QT (I believe Apple first implemented this in version 5) but you
can double check this by doing a standard screen capture of your monitor
when playing a DVD and viewing the result.  Of course, if you're not dealing
with DVD content then this is not an issue...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director

Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design