copying tab delimited text to excel

miscdas at boxfrog.com miscdas at boxfrog.com
Sun Jun 29 02:56:00 EDT 2003

Alex Rice writes:

> On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 12:28  PM, dan johnson wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Which Windows? Which Rev?
>>
>> Win XPpro, Rev 1.1.1, Excel 2000 9.0
>>
>> I created a field and populated it with a few lines made up of strings
>> separated
>> by tabs. While in Browse mode, I placed the cursor into the field. Then I
>> pressed ctrl+a to select the entire field contents, then preseeded ctrl+c
>> copy the selection to the clipboard. Next I switched to Excel, selected a
>> cell,
>> and pressed ctrl+v to copy the clipboard. As expected, the contents were
>> pasted
>> as tab delimted data. That is, each tab resulted in the following  string
>> to be
>> placed into the next column. When the end of a line was reached, the next
>> string
>> started on the following line.
>>
>> Does that help you sort out your problem?
>
> Dan, I've narrowed it down to what seems like a bug.
>
> Now it appears that it's not a Mac/Windows difference, it's a standalone
> vs. IDE difference. The problem is that in the standalone, Command-C or
> Control-C deselects the text and nothing goes onto the clipboard.
>
> Rev 2.0.1, Windows 2000 and OS X 10.2.6
>
> - Create a field (focusable, visible, don't wrap, lock text, auto-hilight
> text, fixed line height)
> - Put some tabstops and tab delimited text into the fld
>   (Now you can select text and copy it, pasting the tab delimited data
> into excel)
> - Build a standalone of the same stack
>   (Now you can select text but the copy fails and you cannot copy-paste
> the tab delimited data into excel)
>

> Alex Rice, Software Developer
> Architectural Research Consultants, Inc.
> http://ARCplanning.com
>
> ___________________________
Alex,
It doesn't work quite like that for me in Win XPpro. I also checked it in MC
2.4.3 and Rev 1.1.1.  The only behavior that I might call a bug is due to
the MC engine not allowing ctrl+a in a field. Otherwise, I get what is
expected. Maybe either OS X or Rev 2.0.1 are the source of the ctrl+c
problem that you see. It does seem strange that I see ctrl+a not working in
the stand alone, but you see ctrl+c behaving oddly.

I created a stand alone from the above stack (both in Rev and MC). In the
stand alone, ctrl+a doesn't do anything. In order to select some text in the
field, I had to use the mouse. Once the selection is made, ctrl+c then
ctrl+v in Excel worked exactly as expected.

Dan J.