Stopping the User from Adding/Removing Lines to a field

Igor Couto igor at pixelmedia.com.au
Sat Jun 28 23:01:01 EDT 2003

Dear Ken,

On Sunday, June 29, 2003, at 01:24  PM, Ken Ray wrote:

> Do you mean that you can't use Unicode text in list fields? I didn't
> know
> that...

There are some severe bugs/limitations. You cannot, for instance,
reliably copy unicodeText into a LINE of a field. To properly place
unicode text INTO a field, you have to set the contents of the entire
field at once. Plus, the source has to be either an external file, or
the contents of another field (it does not work reliably trying to set
it from, let's say, a variable in your script, as I described in my

For *some* languages it seems to work, but for most, when you manage to
do it at all, Revolution messes up the characters (they become
gibberish, or turn into Japanese). This happens with Esperanto,
Icelandic, and Turkish, in my experience... European languages that do
not need the 'US Extended' keyboard in MacOS X for text input seem to
be supported better (Portuguese and French work fine). It also seems
that the Japanese users have found workarounds for most common
problems, even though they report that there are still some.

Note, for instance, that you can set the 'htmlText of LINE x of field y'
But you cannot 'set the unicodeText of LINE x of field y'...

Note also, that these limitations are not exclusive only to list
fields. It is IMPOSSIBLE, in my experience, to type Esperanto
characters AT ALL in a Table field (and a Table field would have been
another possible solution to my problem!)...

These limitations have already been reported to Runtime.
I think the RunRev folks made sure that their first Unicode
implementation supported the most-often requested languages (like
Japanese) as good as possible, however, some more work is needed for
thorough support of Unicode throughout the application...

Thanks for your interest!

Kind Regards,
--
Igor de Oliveira Couto