shell command and authentification

RGould8 at aol.com RGould8 at aol.com
Sat Jun 28 20:54:00 EDT 2003

I'm not really sure how to best describe this problem - - - this issue
pertains to a Revolution app I'm writing in Mac OS X. (latest 10.2.6)

I've got a unix call that, when launched from the Terminal window, brings up
the OS X "authentification popup", and then changes the user's network
settings to PPPoE with username/password.   This call works perfectly each time, when
invoked from the Terminal window.

The problem arises when I attempt to make the same call from Revolution,
using the "shell" command.   Shell does sucessfully call the unix command, and the
authentification popup does appear, so I know the shell command is
successfully calling the proper file - - - AND the user's network settings do switch to
PPPoE, so I know the command is working - - - - unfortunately, after that,
Revolution HANGS.   I even put "answer" commands after the shell call, just to
see if it makes it to the next line - - - nothing happens.

To continue the experiment, I do a force-quit of my Rev app, then re-run it
again.   This time, since the unix call has already authenticated, no popup is
displayed, and the network connection changes just as it should.   Revolution
does not hang, and I can keep quitting and re-running it, and it works
perfectly from then on out.

This leads me to believe that the problem has something to do with the way
the shell command works, and how the OS X authentification popup works.   Does
OS X somehow expect Revolution to do some sort of callback or somehow attach
authentification to my Rev app, and hang?   This is not my area of expertise - -
- - any advice is greatly appreciated.

- Rob