copying tab delimited text to excel

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Sat Jun 28 14:59:01 EDT 2003

On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 12:28  PM, dan johnson wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Which Windows? Which Rev?
>
> Win XPpro, Rev 1.1.1, Excel 2000 9.0
>
> I created a field and populated it with a few lines made up of strings
> separated
> by tabs. While in Browse mode, I placed the cursor into the field.
> Then I
> pressed ctrl+a to select the entire field contents, then preseeded
> ctrl+c to
> copy the selection to the clipboard. Next I switched to Excel,
> selected a cell,
> and pressed ctrl+v to copy the clipboard. As expected, the contents
> were pasted
> as tab delimted data. That is, each tab resulted in the following
> string to be
> placed into the next column. When the end of a line was reached, the
> next string
> started on the following line.
>
> Does that help you sort out your problem?

Dan, I've narrowed it down to what seems like a bug.

Now it appears that it's not a Mac/Windows difference, it's a
standalone vs. IDE difference. The problem is that in the standalone,
Command-C or Control-C deselects the text and nothing goes onto the
clipboard.

Rev 2.0.1, Windows 2000 and OS X 10.2.6

- Create a field (focusable, visible, don't wrap, lock text,
auto-hilight text, fixed line height)
- Put some tabstops and tab delimited text into the fld
   (Now you can select text and copy it, pasting the tab delimited data
into excel)
- Build a standalone of the same stack
   (Now you can select text but the copy fails and you cannot copy-paste
the tab delimited data into excel)

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com