copying tab delimited text to excel

dan johnson danjohnson at 37.com
Sat Jun 28 13:37:00 EDT 2003

I have a field with tab stops (string & tab & string & linefeed etc). On OS X, I
can Command-C and Command-V to copy paste tab-delimited data into MS Excel v.X.

On Windows, using Control-C, Excel 2000 doesn't see anything on the clipboard.
Oh wait... I guess there is nothing on the clipboard at all. Is there some trick
to getting copy-paste from a field to work on Windows, or do I have to implement
it myself using rawKeyDown and clipboard etc?

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com

Greetings,

Which Windows? Which Rev?

Win XPpro, Rev 1.1.1, Excel 2000 9.0

I created a field and populated it with a few lines made up of strings separated
by tabs. While in Browse mode, I placed the cursor into the field. Then I
pressed ctrl+a to select the entire field contents, then preseeded ctrl+c to
copy the selection to the clipboard. Next I switched to Excel, selected a cell,
and pressed ctrl+v to copy the clipboard. As expected, the contents were pasted
as tab delimted data. That is, each tab resulted in the following  string to be
placed into the next column. When the end of a line was reached, the next string
started on the following line.

Does that help you sort out your problem?

Dan j.