G5/Panther and ... Encryption (was G5/Panther and Rev)

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 28 01:16:01 EDT 2003

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 09:44  PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 10:08 PM, Mark Brownell wrote:
>
>>> Maybe I don't understant what you want but check out
>>> customPropertySets.
>
>> I want to create and populate an array. The arrays can contain
>> numbers or string data that might include LF and paragraph breaks.
>> Anyway I want to save the array and at later times open them as
>> arrays. Although this isn't about operators working on data in arrays
>> it is about changing the capabilities of arrays.
>
> If you mean the array is still there after you save and later open the
> stack, then I think Monte's suggestion of customPropertySet sounds
> right.

Let's say that I have an XML document that contains 300 sales
transactions. I want to put the XML text of each transaction into 300
separate items of an array. I then would like to save this array as an
external file. It wouldn't be saved as text it would be saved as an
array file. I could then use answer to open it with my application that
could then access it.

> If you want to save to a file, then look at split and combine.  Since
> you have numbers, you need to make sure the numberFormat will include
> as many digits you need.  If you have multiline data, you want to be
> careful of your split/combine delimiters and not use LF.  Perhaps some
> carefully selected control characters will work.
>
> If your arrays also include some binary data and you want to save the
> data to a file, then split/combine will probably not work, not in
> general.  Let us know if this is the case.
>
> Dar Scott

This is wish list stuff I'm talking about.  In Director I have an Xtra
plug-in that enables a shockwave app to save lists (arrays) to my hard
drive. Later I can access the saved array and load it into a variable.
This Xtra plug-in was written in C++ and adds value to the shockwave
engine. If they are going to add operators to arrays maybe some day
they can add save as array as a feature, meanwhile I can use Valentina
and save as a database file of XML text transactions.

Mark