Esperanto & Revolution

Igor Couto igor at pixelmedia.com.au
Sat Jun 28 00:11:00 EDT 2003

Dear Toma,

Thank you for the great suggestion!

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 07:01  PM, Toma Tasovac wrote:

>> 3) How can I put an Esperanto label on a button? Setting the textFont
>> of the button to ",Unicode", and then trying to enter a label in the
>> Inspector, doesn't work. Trying to set it via script doesn't work
>> either. What can I do?
>
> This is the only one I can answer right away.  The inspector is a
> disaster for Unicode input, so pretty much you have to forget it.
> What you need to do is save you button labels in a utf8 encoded text
> file, one label per line.  Then do the following:
>
> on openStack
> put uniencode (url "file:esperantoButton.txt", "utf8") into tTemp
> set the itemDel to cr
> set the label of button "Button 1" to item 1 of tTemp
> set the label of button "Button 2" to item 2 of tTemp
> -- etc...
> end openStack
>
>  I've just tested it with "ĉeĥa ŝaŭmanĝaĵo" and it worked fine.  Once
> you import these labels from the text file and save your stack, just
> get rid of the above script.  Next time you open the stack, all the
> labels will be there -- displaying correctly.

Actually, based on your suggestion, I found another way to accomplish
the same - it MAY be a bit easier than having to do with external files:

1) Put all your strings in a LIST FIELD - the field can be hidden.

2) Ensure that all objects that are going to display Esperanto have
their textFont property set to ",Unicode"

3) use the following line in the script that populates the labels of
your objects:

'set the label of cMyObjectReference to the unicodeText of line x of
field cMyStringField'

I've just tried that, and it worked!

Once again, many many thanks for the help.

I've reported the difficulty with the Table fields as a bug in the bug
database. I've also reported the fact that we cannot simply enter the
labels in the Inspector...

Any further hints, would be appreciated!

Kind Regards,

--
Igor
igor at pixelmedia.com.au