G5/Panther and Rev

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Fri Jun 27 12:06:00 EDT 2003

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 06:20  AM, Ken Norris wrote:

> Yep, that's what I meant. I understand the backwards compatibility. I
> hear
> the new Pentium 64-bit chip won't do that.

Yeah that's crazy of Intel. AMD's 64 bit chips don't have that
limitation?!

> But, I wanted to know if MC/RR will make use of it in the near future.
>
> I don't know what SIMD is. Can you explain?

What Dar said in his post :-) He more than I about it probably. If any
of you are a feeling particularly adventurous, on OS X do

man vecLib [return] in terminal.app

	NAME
      AltiVec vecLib vMathLib BLAS LAPACK vDSP vBigNum vBasicOps Vector
      Computation Velocity Engine Extended Math Library - This man page
intro-
      duces the vector instruction set extension to the PowerPC
architecture
      known as Velocity Engine (or AltiVec) and its accompanying
libraries and
      programming support in Mac OS X.

I'm not sure if this man page gets installed with the Apple Developer
Tools CD, or if it's there on clean installs of OS X too.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com